The letter list the following charges against Oregon State Hospital:
- Fails to adequately protect its patients from harm
- Fails to provide appropriate psychiatric and psychological care and treatment
- Fails to use seclusion and restraints a manner consistent with generally accepted professional standards
- Fails to provide adequate nursing care
- Fails to provide discharge planning and to ensure placement in the most integrated setting
According to Oregon mental health advocate Angela Kimball, "It laid bare the complete lack of basic care."
See the Justice Department Letter at http://mentalhealthinvestigations.googlepages.com/2_Findings20Letter20signed2012009200.pdf .
(1) Judd, Alan. "Feds' inquiry in Ga. mental hospitals could take months." The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 01 February 2008. 10 February 2008 <http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/02/01/mental_0201.html>.
(2) Maxey Robin. "Senate President to Create State Hospital Oversight Committee." Office of Senate President, State of Oregon 16 January 2008. 17 February 2008 <http://www.leg.state.or.us/press_releases/courtney_011608.pdf >.